Community asked to vote for their Local Hero
15 August 2012
Humberside Fire and Rescue Service is asking members of the public to vote for their local hero. The winner will be announced at the annual Humberside Fire and Rescue Service Community Awards ceremony on Thursday 27 September. The awards recognise members of the public, partner organisations, and staff for their contribution towards making our community safer and acts of courage. The highlight of the evening is the Local Hero Award which is voted for by members of the public.
This year there are two shortlisted candidates for the Local Hero Award, which is sponsored by DFDS Seaways. These nominees have gone above and beyond what is expected and placed the safety of others before their own.
Gareth Cooke – Hull (VOTE Gareth)
Gareth’s athleticism and quick thinking saved a neighbour from his burning house. Mr Cooke had just returned home from the from an evening out when his dogs alerted him to the danger a few houses away. He heard a man shouting for help and decided to scale a six foot wall and jump between roofs to reach the man. In order to get the man out he needed to climb partly through the window to reach him despite the thick smoke. Mr Cooke then attempted to save two more people before the fire service stopped him for his own safety.
Paul Anderson –Hull (VOTE Paul)
Paul Anderson helped save the lives of a mother and daughter when he alerted them to a fire that had started in his downstairs flat. He had already escaped from the burning building when he realised the mother and daughter were still in the flat above. He re-entered the building and banged on the door of the upstairs flat until the mother answered at which point he covered the daughter with a jumper and ran downstairs with her through the flames to safety.
Votes for the Local Hero Award can be cast with the message VOTE Gareth or VOTE Paul, by calling or texting 07581 495960, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending a letter to FREEPOST NEA 3610 Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, HULL, HU4 7BR. Votes can be cast all though the month of August and closed on 31 August 2012.
Katrina Horth, organiser of the Community Awards Evening for Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said: “Although each of the nominees deserves praise and recognition for their actions, there can only be one winner. We are asking members of the community to cast a vote for the person they think deserves to win the award on the evening. It’s a difficult task as they have both shown themselves to be true heroes, placing the safety of others before their own. “
The full list of awards to be given on the evening are:
1) Individual Award – Service to the community. Sponsored by BP2) Project / Team / Individual to have the most impact on Improving People’s Lives. Sponsored by Howdens 3) Project / Team / Individual to have the most impact on Safer People Safer Fire fighters. Sponsored by ARCO
4) Project which most engages with members of the public and vulnerable and hard to reach groups in a positive way. Sponsored by balfour beatty5) Award for Inspiring Others. Sponsored by BAE Systems 6) Best Fire Station. Sponsored by PBI Performance Products
7) Best Team. Sponsorship for this award is still being sought, please contact Katrina Horth at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service on 01482 565333.
8) Award for excellence. Sponsorship for this award is still being sought, please contact Katrina Horth at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service on 01482 565333.
9) Partner organisation that has the greatest impact on helping HFRS to Improve People’s Lives. Sponsored by Fire Angel
10) Partner organisation most active in assisting HFRS to engage with hard to reach and vulnerable members of our community. Sponsorship for this award is still being sought, please contact Katrina Horth at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service on 01482 565333.
11) Youth Group / Individual Young Person of the Year. Sponsored by Scania
12) Local Hero – Voted by members of the public. Sponsored by DFDS Seaways
13) Chief’s Award. Sponsored by KC