Skip to main content


In the event of major flooding in the county, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service works closely with other agencies to deliver a coordinated approach to the operation.

flood sign in road under water

If your home is threatened by flood water, or in the event of a flood, we recommend the following:

  • For up to date flood watch information, log onto the Environment Agency website.
  • For related flooding advice, visit if you are in Hull and East Yorkshire or if you live in Northern Lincolnshire.
  • Don’t drive through standing water – as well as the water damaging your car, there may be hazards under the water you can’t see. If you see a sign to say that the road is closed due to flooding, remember the sign is there for a reason. Don’t try to drive through or you might get stuck.
  • When driving, if heavy rain is making visibility difficult, pull over if possible.
  • Remember that roads will be slippery during wet conditions.
  • Listen out for warnings on radio and TV and phone Floodline 0845 988 118 for more information.
  • If you know your home is at risk of flooding, prepare a list of useful phone numbers and keep it somewhere safe.
  • If your home does start to flood, turn off your electricity supply.
  • For sewage leaks contact your water company
  • If you have an elderly or vulnerable family member or neighbour who is at risk of flooding, contact them to ensure they are prepared and know what to do should their home flood.
  • Dial 999 if there is a threat to someone’s life

Please note, the fire service may not always be able to help in the event of a flood. A fire crew will not automatically be sent. An officer will attend to assess the situation and if they feel the fire service can assist, they will call for a fire crew. The officer may not attend straight away though as all calls are prioritised.

The fire service can only help in certain situations. There has to be a certain level of water before we can pump water away, and we have to be able to pump it somewhere without it having a detrimental effect elsewhere.

For further flooding advice, contact the Environment Agency. Click here to find some useful information from the Met Office.