2020 has been a challenging year for everyone, yet the show must go on. Humberside Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS) continued to recognise great achievements of staff, partners and local heroes within the community.
The 12th annual Recognition Awards was cancelled due to COVID-19, however HFRS continued to recognise great achievements and asked staff to nominate their unsung heroes during these unprecedented challenging times.
The Recognition Awards celebrates members of HFRS staff and partners who have made a positive impact on their peers, the organisation or the community.
Almost 50 nominations were received from members of HFRS staff across nine categories and these were whittled down to just one winner in each category by a panel of external judges.
A special Chief’s Award was awarded to a Andy Day, a member of staff who had been chosen by Chief Fire Officer and Chief Executive Chris Blacksell.
Chris Blacksell said,
"Andy is someone who works tirelessly to keep the Service running, managing our fleet, our Stores and our Hydrants Teams. He is exceptionally good at his job, but perhaps more importantly is incredibly passionate about the Service and is a genuinely nice person. It is a pleasure to work with him and if anyone displays our Principles and Behaviours of Leadership, Dependability, Innovation and Passion it’s Andy"
The categories and winners, are shown below:
- Team of the Year 2020 – Health, Safety and Environment
- Team Mate of the Year 2020 – Anne Stott
- Partnership of the Year 2020 – Rescue Day Committee
- Innovation 2020 – Training Delivery
- Outstanding Contribution 2020 – Mandi Hyde
- Outstanding Contribution to The Fire Fighters Charity 2020 – Rich Gibson
- Full-Time / Control Watch of the Year 2020 – Control Blue Watch
- On-Call Fire Station of the Year 2020 – Snaith Fire Station
- Local Hero 2020 – Ryan Linley
- Chief’s Award 2020 – Andy Day
The Local Hero Award category included members of the Humberside community nominated by members of the public.
The Service would like to congratulate each nominee for their achievements over 2019-2020.
2021 will hopefully see the return of a spectacular event, to congratulate each winner in person with a celebration they all deserve.