Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content
  • About Us
  • Your Safety
  • Careers
  • Newsroom
  • Your Local Area
  • Contact Us
Business safety Bishop Burton

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (FSO) is the main piece of legislation governing fire safety in buildings in England and Wales.

The FSO applies to all workplaces and the common parts of buildings containing 2 or more domestic premises. It places legal duties on anyone in control of these premises (the Responsible Person, usually the owner or landlord) to undertake and record a fire risk assessment and put in place and maintain general fire precautions.

The Fire Safety Act 2021 clarified that the external walls, flat entrance doors and structure of buildings are all covered by the FSO and must be accounted for in fire risk assessments.

The Fire Safety (England) Regulations Fire Safety (England) Regulations 2022 and section 156 of the Building Safety Act brought in additional duties for Responsible Persons under the Fire Safety Order.

Check your fire safety responsibilities under section 156 of the Building Safety Act 2022

Find out if you’re a Responsible Person under the Fire Safety Order and what responsibilities you may have: People with duties under fire safety laws.

In the vast majority of cases the local Fire Authority is the enforcing body for this legislation.

The former county of Humberside, comprises of the four Unitary Authority areas of:

  • Kingston-upon-Hull
  • East Riding of Yorkshire
  • North East Lincolnshire
  • North Lincolnshire

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service has a Fire Safety Inspection team in each area, who carry out inspections and offer advice to persons responsible for premises which fall under the Fire Safety Order. Each team also carries out a variety of consultations with different authorities and companies. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

*Building Control Bodies (Local Authority and approved inspectors) *Local Authority Licensing (Alcohol, Marriage & Gambling) *Local Authority Housing (House in multiple occupation, flats) *Local Authority Planning (Town and Country Planning applications)

We also work closely with other enforcing authorities such as:

*Humberside Police *Health & Safety (Local Authority and the Health & Safety Executive) *UK Border Agency

If you cannot find the information you require by following the links on the right, then you should visit the contacts page and speak to your local office who will be able to assist you.