You are more at risk from a fire when asleep, so it is a good idea to check your home before you go to bed.
Introduce a bedtime fire safety routine that includes the following:
- Close all doors
- Switch off and unplug electrical appliances
- Check your cooker is turned off
- Don't leave the washing machine on overnight
- Turn heaters off
- Put candles and cigarettes out properly
- Making sure all exit routes are clear
- Keep door and window keys where everyone can find them
- Take your keys and mobile telephone with you to ensure you can escape in the event of an emergency
Closing all internal doors will limit the spread of smoke and heat to the rest of the home and give occupants more time to escape should fire break out.