When you are asleep, it takes longer to notice the signs of fire.
If you don’t have a working smoke alarm, there will be nothing to wake you. To help prevent fires occurring through the night, it is important to check your home for fire hazards before you go to bed.
Make sure you:
- Check the cooker is turned off
- Turn off and unplug electrical appliances (unless they are meant to be left on, like your freezer)
- Avoid using household appliances such as washing machines whilst you are asleep
- Put candles and cigarettes out properly
- Turn heaters off and put up fireguards
- Make sure exits are kept clear
- Close inside doors at night to stop a fire from spreading
- Keep door and window keys where everyone can find them