Seasonal driving advice
12 December 2013
As the evenings draw in and temperatures dip the region’s roads become more hazardous and as many people are enjoying more social events during Christmas party season, it’s more important than ever to be aware of the dangers mixing alcohol with driving can bring.
This Friday and Saturday evening (13 and 14 December), many firefighters will be taking strike action between 18:00hrs and 22:00hrs and senior officers at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service are asking people to take extra care on the roads and to make alternative travel arrangements if they are attending events where they may be drinking alcohol to help reduce the risk of avoidable incidents.
Dene Sanders, Deputy Chief Fire Officer at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, said: “We would always ask people to drive carefully during the winter months as conditions become more hazardous and we would never condone driving after drinking alcohol. However, this weekend people should be aware that firefighters, who would usually be mobilised to a road traffic accident, will be on strike as part of a national dispute about pensions and therefore extra care needs to be taken.
He added: “We continue to be tested by this dispute but we are continually assessing and reviewing our contingency plans so that the best possible service can be delivered to the community at times of strike action. We will continue to provide an adequate and safe service during this period and to achieve this we need to draw on some of our current staff as well as reservists to provide that service.”
During last November and December Humberside Fire and Rescue Service attended 85 road traffic collisions.
Advice to drivers:
• Check your local weather forecast before you travel and plan your journey accordingly
• Avoid overtaking (unless absolutely necessary)
• If you are going to drink alcohol, do not drive, instead organise a lift or book a taxi
• Ensure all the windscreens are FULLY cleared of ice
• On ice, manoeuvre gently, avoiding harsh braking or acceleration
• Check there is anti-freeze in your radiator and sufficient tread on your tyres
• Make sure your windscreen wipers are in good working order, your screen wash is full and carry de-icer
For more safety advice follow us on Twitter @humbersidefire or like us on Facebook
www.facebook.com/humbersidefireandrescue or visit www.humbersidefire.gov.uk