Make sure the safety of your home and loved ones is a team effort. By involving everyone in your household, you can create a fire-safe environment. Make sure to explain the reasoning behind each step with younger members of the family and get them to take the lead in helping to keep you all safe.
Here are the steps that everyone can take.
Test Smoke Alarms
Make sure you have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home. Encourage everyone in the household to be involved in regular testing to make sure they are working.
Fire Hazard Checks
Get everyone involved to help keep your home safe:
- Always turn off the cooker when you're finished using it
- Remember to unplug appliances when you're not using them (except for things like your freezer!)
- Try not to use washing machines or other appliances when you're asleep
- Make sure to put out candles and cigarettes properly
- Turn off heaters and use fireguards before bedtime
- Keep exits clear so you can escape quickly if needed
- Close doors at night to stop a fire from spreading
- Keep keys to doors and windows where everyone can find them
By following these steps and involving every member of your household, you can build a fire-safe home where everyone feels protected and secure.