Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content
  • About Us
  • Your Safety
  • Careers
  • Newsroom
  • Your Local Area
  • Contact Us

Humberside Police update:

Following on from the incident in Hull City Centre yesterday, North Bank Commander, Chief Superintendent Phil Ward has provided an update: “The incident in Hull yesterday afternoon (Tuesday, 11 September) will no doubt have brought fear and unrest to our local communities, as well as being a terrifying experience for those working in the banks or who were witness to it.

“I want to offer my utmost assurance that our priority is always the safety of the public, containing a situation and arresting a suspect as swiftly as possible, to reduce and eliminate any threat of risk or harm to anyone and to protect people.

“We are working very closely with both banks and support is being provided to the employees who were working. Members of the public who were also in the banks when the incident occurred, if we haven’t already spoken with you, please do get in touch as we want to ensure your wellbeing and provide assistance either through ourselves and specialist officers or our partner agencies.

“We would also ask anyone who may have mobile phone footage of the incident, to please make contact with us on 101, quoting incident number 237 of 11 September 2018.”

Ch Supt Ward continued: “The police and emergency services very quickly responded to what was an unpredictable and dangerous incident at lunchtime in our busy city centre, with the situation being brought to a safe conclusion and the suspect arrested in just nine minutes.

"We were alerted at 1.03pm yesterday to a man in Santander bank on King Edward Street with a canister of petrol and a bladed weapon, reportedly a machete.

“There were demands made for money, and we understand petrol was poured from the canister and set alight, causing a small fire at the entrance. The man then left the bank just minutes later and ran towards Jameson Street and entered Barclays bank.

“Unarmed officers first on the scene attempted to stop the man in Barclays. He was still in possession of the machete and came towards them before fleeing on foot towards Paragon Interchange.

“The man was still in possession of the machete and was not compliant when arrest attempts were made. Officers very quickly brought the incident to a safe conclusion through the use of taser and the man was detained at 1.12pm.

“Three people suffered injuries, including the man arrested. Their injuries were not serious and they received immediate medical assistance.

“The 24-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage, arson with intent to endanger life, possession of an offensive weapon and affray. He remains in police custody today being questioned by detectives. At this time, there is no evidence to suggest any link to terrorism and it does appear to be an isolated incident. The investigation is very much active and ongoing with a number of officers working on the case to ascertain the exact circumstances.

“My thanks goes out to everyone involved in protecting our communities and I want to offer reassurance to the public that your safety is our main concern. We will do everything we can to protect you and I also want to offer my thanks for your understanding and assistance while we dealt with the live incident itself and the investigation afterwards.”

Anyone who has information is asked to please make contact with us on 101, quoting incident number 237 of 11 September 2018, or to anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Officers were called to Hull city centre this afternoon to a report that a man was carrying a bladed weapon and a container with liquid in thought to be petrol.

The man had entered two banks on King Edward Street in Hull around 13.00hrs and set fire to some of the liquid.

A number of officers quickly attended along with fire crews and a small blaze was put out.

The situation was contained very quickly by police and emergency crews and the man was arrested at Paragon Interchange. The suspect is now in custody. No one has been seriously injured.

The public are advised to avoid the area while our investigations continue.

Chief Superintendent Phil Ward, North Bank Commander, said:

“We are mindful of the public's concern that these types of incidents may be related to terrorism, however there is nothing to suggest that this is anything other than an isolated incident which has been dealt with promptly by the responding police and emergency services.

“I want to offer reassurance that our priority at all times is the safety of the public.”