Is your property name or number visible?
27 January 2017
We at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service urge residents and businesses to ensure that their street name signs and house name or number are visible.
Responding to incidents quickly and safely is of paramount importance for emergency services. Every second counts. Residents and businesses can assist emergency services by ensuring that their street sign is clearly visible, and that their property name or number can be seen from the road.
Missing or damaged signage, overgrown greenery and poor lighting are but a few reasons that an emergency response could be delayed. It is a misconception that it is only rural areas where emergency services face these type of problems; surprisingly a large proportion of urban properties are not clearly identifiable.
We ask that residents and businesses assist emergency services by taking the time to check their properties identifying signage is visible and in a good state of repair. It is best practice to install a property name or number, which is at least 3 inches in height and at least 4ft off the ground. If you live more than 75ft from a roadway, display your property details on a post box/gateway or similar. All numbers and letters should be visible from 25ft away.
If you have any concerns about the visibility of your road signage, please inform your local authority.
- If your business premise has multiple entrances, ensure appropriate signage is in place for all entries.
- If you have external lighting near your house name or number ensure it is illuminated when it is dark.
- If you have requested the assistance of the emergency service, if possible, send someone to flag them down outside your address
- Knowing and being able to recite your full address including postcode, in English, is essential
- Teach children their address from an early age
- If you live off a main roadway, please provide as much detail as possible to the call handler
- Be aware of your surroundings, are there any distinctive features? A post box, monument or a bridge?
- If you live in a flat above a business ensure your access door has a number on it