As Bonfire Night approaches, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS) wants to make sure everyone has a safe and enjoyable time.
Going to organised firework displays is a great choice for safety and fun.
There are safety risks if you’re planning to build your own bonfires and Bonfire Night is not an excuse to get rid of household rubbish. To dispose of waste safely, please use your local Council’s waste and recycling centres
To keep things safe leading up to Bonfire Night, HFRS staff are working closely with Humberside Police and local Councils, to spot any illegal bonfires being built. Additionally, we're making sure fireworks are sold safely and legally.
If you ever suspect someone is selling fireworks illegally, you can report it to Trading Standards (via Citizens Advice consumer service) by calling 0808 223 1133 or on their website; www.citizensadvice.org
For issues with fly-tipping, reach out to your local Council:
East Riding of Yorkshire Council: 01482 393939 or www.eastriding.gov.uk
Hull City Council: 01482 300300 or www.hull.gov.uk
North East Lincolnshire Council: 01472 313131 or www.nelincs.gov.uk
North Lincolnshire Council: 01724 297000 or www.northlincs.gov.uk
Fireworks can be exciting, but it's essential to use them safely:
- Buy fireworks with a CE mark from reputable sellers.
- Keep fireworks in a closed box.
- Follow the instructions on each firework.
- Light fireworks at arm's length.
- Stay a safe distance from them once they're lit.
- Never go back to a lit firework.
- Don't throw fireworks.
- Remember, no fireworks on public streets.
- For your pets' well-being, keep them indoors during fireworks displays.
- Always follow the Firework Code for a safer celebration.